By Laws & Elected Officers
meet our amazing team
More information below roster.
An election has been called as prescribed by the bylaws of LGBT Democrats of Virginia, the LGBT+ Caucus of the Democratic Party of Virginia. The Nominating Committee, as appointed by Chairperson, Maggie Sacra, as specified by the bylaws, has met and created procedures for the election within the structure determined by the bylaws. The procedures are spelled out here, followed by a timeline for your convenience.
Only members in good standing by midnight December 31st, 2020, can participate as a candidate or voter in this election.
Procedures for the Election of Officers
Becoming a Candidate:
Any interested member in good standing of the Caucus may file to be a candidate online in this election. The deadline for filing is February 15, 2021, at 5:00 pm. No late filings will be accepted.
Negative campaigning by any candidate is prohibited and may result in the removal of the offending candidate from the ballot by the Nominating Committee and Chair.
Please review our bylaws for officer job descriptions.
By March 1, 2021, members in good standing will receive a link to ballots via email with the names of all those listed who have filed properly and in a timely manner. Ballots will also be posted to the website. If only one person files to be a candidate for an office, that person will be declared elected and that election for that office will be cancelled.
Voting for Officers by Mail:
- Please only vote for one individual for each office. If more than one vote is shown for any office, those votes will not be counted.
- No write-ins will be accepted.
- To deliver your votes, please fill out the ID form included with the ballot. You may, if you wish, seal the ballot with tape or staple (just ensure that when it is opened, the votes will still be legible).
- Please place both the ID sheet and the ballot into an envelope.
- Make sure you put your name and return address on the envelope. These procedures are in place to ensure one-to-one correspondence between ballots received and members.
- Please send (or hand-deliver) the envelope to Abbi Easter at 2611 Cherrytree Lane, North Chesterfield, VA 23235-2925.
Ballots must be received by 5 pm on March 15, 2021. Mail postmarks are NOT acceptable.
When envelopes are received, the ballot will be removed from the envelope. The ID form and the envelope return address will be checked against a membership list and the individual’s name will be marked. This way, we can keep track to ensure each vote is only counted once. The ballot will then be immediately placed in a sealed box without it being opened.
The Nominating Committee will meet between March 15th, 2021, after the ballot return deadline, and March 31st, 2021 to count the ballots. The results will be given to Maggie Sacra, Chairperson, and emailed to the membership by the next day. The newly elected officers will assume their responsibilities immediately after all elections for all offices are complete.
Please feel free to direct any questions to any member of the Nominating Committee:
Officer Election Timeline
- January 1, 2021 – Deadline for membership for those participating in the election.
- January 15, 2021 or before – Notice of upcoming election sent to all members of good standing. Filing form and election information posted on the website.
- February 15, 2021 – Filing form due by 5 pm. All members of the nominating committee will receive filing information via email automatically when the filing form is submitted via the website. Only online forms will be accepted.
- March 1, 2021 – Ballots posted on the website and emailed to members that were in good standing by midnight, December 31st, 2020. Members are responsible for printing off the ballot before completing as instructed in the election description. Please send your vote early to avoid USPS delays.
- March 15, 2021 – Balloting closed. All ballots must have been received in the mail or by hand-delivery by 5 pm to Abbi Easter at 2611 Cherrytree Lane, North Chesterfield, VA 23235-2925.
- March 15-31, 2021 – Counting of ballots (open to observers). Additional details, such as location, time, and method will be provided to interested parties.
- April 1, 2021 or before – Election results will be posted on the website and e-mailed to all members. New board members assume office for a 2-year term.