An election has been called as prescribed by the bylaws of LGBT Democrats of Virginia, the LGBT Caucus of the Democratic Party of Virginia. The Nominating Committee, as appointed by Chair, Maggie Sacra, as specified by the bylaws, has met and created procedures for the election within the structure determined by the bylaws. The procedures are spelled out here, followed by a timeline for your convenience. Only members in good standing by January 1st, 2019, can participate as a candidate or voter in this election.
Procedures for the Election of Officers
Becoming a Candidate:
- Any interested member in good standing of the Caucus may file to be a candidate online in this election. The deadline for filing is February 15, 2019, at 5:00 pm. No late filings will be accepted.
- Negative campaigning by any candidate is prohibited and may result in the removal of the offending candidate from the ballot by the Nominating Committee and Chair.
- Please review our bylaws for officer job descriptions.
By March 1, 2019, members in good standing will receive a link to ballots via email with the names of all those listed who have filed properly and in a timely manner. Ballots will also be posted to the website. If only one person files to be a candidate for an office, that person will be declared elected and that election for that office will be canceled.
Voting for Officers by Mail:
- Please only vote for one individual for each office. If more than one vote is shown for any office, those votes will not be counted.
- No write-ins will be accepted.
- To deliver your votes, please fill out the ID form included with the ballot. You may, if you wish, seal the ballot with tape or staple (just ensure that when it is opened, the votes will still be legible).
- Please place both the ID sheet and the ballot into an envelope.
- Make sure you put your name and return address on the envelope. These procedures are in place to ensure one to one correspondence between ballots received and members.
- Please send (or hand deliver) the envelope to Abbi Easter at 2611 Cherrytree Lane, North Chesterfield, VA 23235-2925.
- Ballots must be received in hand by 5 pm on March 15, 2019. Postmarks are NOT acceptable.
When envelopes are received, the ballot will be removed from the envelope and immediately placed in a sealed box without being opened. The ID form and the envelope return address will be checked against a membership list and the individual’s name will be marked. This way, the secrecy of the ballot is maintained, but we can also keep track to ensure each vote is only counted once.
The Nominating Committee will meet on March 15th, 2019, after the deadline, to count the ballots. The results will be given to Maggie Sacra, Chair, and emailed to the membership the next day. The newly elected officers will assume their responsibilities immediately after all elections for all offices are complete.
Please feel free to direct any questions to any member of the Nominating Committee:
Abbi Easter [email protected]
Joel McDonald [email protected]
Maggie Sacra [email protected]
Officer Election Timeline
January 1, 2019 – Deadline for membership for those participating in the election. Notice of upcoming election sent to all members of good standing. Filing form and election information posted on the website.
February 15, 2019 – Filing form due by 5 pm and must be received by then. All members of the nominating committee will receive filed information via email.
March 1, 2019 – Ballots posted on the website and emailed to members in good standing. Members are responsible for printing off the ballot before completing as instructed in the election description.
March 15, 2019 – Balloting closed. All ballots must have been received in the mail or hand delivered by 5 pm to Abbi Easter at 2611 Cherrytree Lane, North Chesterfield, VA 23235-2925.
March 15, 2019 – Counting of ballots (open to observers). Addition details, such as location and time will be announced soon.
March 16, 2019 – Election results will be posted on the website and e-mailed to all members. New board members assume office for a 2-year term.