An election has been called as prescribed by the bylaws of LGBT Democrats of Virginia, the LGBT Caucus of the Democratic Party of Virginia. The Nominating Committee, as appointed by Chair, Maggie Sacra, as specified by the bylaws, has met and created procedures for the election within the structure determined by the bylaws. The procedures are spelled out here, followed by a timeline for your convenience. Only members in good standing by January 1st, 2023, can participate as a candidate or voter in this election.
Procedures for the Election of Officers
Becoming a Candidate
- Any interested member in good standing of the Caucus may file to be a candidate online in this election. The deadline for filing is February 15, 2023, at 5:00 pm. No late filings will be accepted.
- Negative campaigning by any candidate is prohibited and may result in the removal of the offending candidate from the ballot by the Nominating Committee and Chair.
- Please review our bylaws for officer job descriptions.
By March 1, 2023, members in good standing will receive an electronic ballot with the names of all those listed who have filed properly and in a timely manner. If only one person files to be a candidate for an office, that person will be declared elected, and that office election will be canceled.
Voting for Officers
- Voting will be electronic.
- Ballots will be emailed to caucus members who are eligible to vote.
- Your ballot will be secret.
- Electronic ballots must be submitted by 5:00 PM on March 15, 2023.
The Nominating Committee will meet after the deadline to certify the ballot count. The results will be given to Maggie Sacra, Chair, and emailed to the membership the next day. The newly elected officers will assume their responsibilities immediately after all elections for all offices are complete.
Please feel free to direct any questions to any member of the Nominating Committee:
Abbi Easter [email protected]
Joel McDonald [email protected]
Maggie Sacra [email protected]
Officer Election Timeline
January 1, 2023 – Deadline for membership for those participating in the election. Notice of upcoming election sent to all members of good standing.
January 30, 2023 – The filing form and election information are posted on the website.
February 15, 2023 – Filing form due by 5 pm and must be received by then. All members of the nominating committee will receive filed information via email.`
March 1, 2023 – Electronic ballots sent to members in good standing.
March 15, 2023 – Balloting closed.
March 15, 2023 – Certification of ballot count (open to observers). Additional details, such as location and time, will be announced soon.
March 16, 2023 – Election results will be posted on the website and e-mailed to all members. New board members assume office for a 2-year term.